Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I have flown an Airplane

It has been a lifelong dream of mine to fly. It's one of the items that always ends up on one of those "things to do before I die" lists that I re-invent every once in a while.

It's probably because my Dad is an Aeronautical Engineer, so I got the bug early on, weather I was interested or not on my own. We used to go by the airport and my Dad would explain to me what kind of plane was in the air, and taught me how to guess based on the shape of the underbelly.

And it was a dream, I think I was pretty liberal about sharing.

In 2nd year university, my boyfriend told me he had a surprise for my Birthday. And if you know me at all, you know just how much I love both presents and pleasant surprises.

He told me to "dress warmly" and that was about it.

So he picks me up and we're driving and then he says - "Umm, I'm kind of not sure about the directions, I may need you to help me"
"Ok, no problem - where are we going?"
"Well, I don't want to tell you if I don't have to"
"Ok"

So we're driving north, and suddenly he pulls into the Buttonville Airport.
"ummm, you know this is an airport right? Is this where we're suppose to be?"
"yes, relax, this is the place"


So we met our instructor at the entrance.
We got a tour of the airport.
An explanation of the mechanics of flight.
A Tour of the Air Traffic Control tower
I got my name in the flight log as the co-pilot (how cool is that!)
And then I got to fly!

It was the most phenomenal and surreal experience.
I did absolutely everything except for the take-off and landing.
I taxied along the runway.
I learned about flying using instruments in the dark - that was funny, because I didn't quite get it at first and the instructor calmly says, "ok so now the plane is dropping at a rate of 750 feet a second"
"OH! Ok, so that means I need to pull up the nose right?"
"Yes, ok - good that's much better"

I remember it so clearly - which is funny, because I remember saying how I wished that I had brought my camera, so I wouldn't forget.

With the exception of God's gift of Jesus, which brings me eternal life with Him in Heaven, it's the best gift I have ever received.

So accomplishment #2 is my second best ever present.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I didn't know you flew. I did as well many years ago... and nearly crashed while landing.

It's probably good that they didn't let you land. Probably shouldn't have let me either... ;)