Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I Have Completed 2 Degrees

Yes, because I'm a glutton for stress :)

My Bachelor's Degree just might have been the most stressful 4 years of my life. I was so fixated on doing well, and getting into Medical School.
And I was a commuter to bear, so the 1 hour 20 minute commute to the university daily did not help.

My fist week was so bad, that on the Friday, I decided to buy a chocolate from the vending machine to cheer myself up. I bought a pack of M&Ms and the entire time I'm eating them, I'm thinking - gee, these taste a little funny. but I told myself to get over it, it was probably my bad mood tempering my taste buds.

So I finish the pack and then open it up (because the outside said that there was a contest, and to look inside to see if you're the winner). I don't remember what the contest was, but I opened up the wrapper, and I had won! I started to smile, the clouds had started to part and a little ray of sunshine was finally getting through my miserable week. It looked like my luck was changing.

Then I looked more closely at the label. The contest had expired August something of the PREVIOUS year. The sun went away, the clouds gathered en-mass and it started to storm.
My luck had not changed at all.

Things did get better from there - after all I made some pretty cool friends in University.

And my degrees were a lot of time, and effort - and totally worth it in retrospect - although I did not always feel that way while in the moment.

1 comment:

Joy said...

I, too, have bought university vending machine/snack shop fodder which told me I'd won, but only if I could go back in time to claim my prize. Actually, once the expiry date was either that day or the next day, but I ended up not running off to claim my prize, so I still lost it.