Monday, December 04, 2006

Oy, Humbug!

Ok, so if you don't frequent Emma's blog, check out a snipet of our Knitting Extravaganza on Friday night.

In other news, is anybody else more Chirstmassy than usual this year?

I have found over time that Christmas gets less and less Christmassy for me over the years.
I remember being so excited to go to the mall, buy gifts, sit on Santa's lap, wake-up on Christmas morning, eat, eat and eat.

I'm not sure if it's about me getting older or just that time changes things, but I get less and less Christmas-like every year. Now I grumble about having to take the tree out of storage, decorating it, having to take it all down and put it away, baking treats (who has time, and they're not healthy to eat). I complain about traffic, parking lots and slow moving revellers in the mall, who keep stopping right in my way. I moan about how many gifts I have to buy, how much it's going to cost me, and the pain that wrapping is (doesn't help that I suck at wrapping gifts).

But this year, somehow the Christmas spirit has come on full force.
I enjoyed putting up the tree, and decorating it.
I finished all my Christmas shopping in November - and have happily avoided the malls. I listen to Christmas music and hymns in the car and sing along unashamedly.

It's great, but weird - because it's such a turn around.
I don't know what bug bit me, but I think that if I could bottle it, I'd like to get bit every year. This is much more fun than most Christmasses, and not nearly as stressful.

So, if you're having an Oy, Humbug! Holiday - maybe we can figure out to bottle the Christmas Spirit bug and share the joy.

6 comments:

ghanima said...

Yeah, I've been noticing it in me, too.

In my case, I suspect the stress of having what amounts to a full-time job, plus the annual shindig, plus two ambitious gift projects, plus the annual time with my parents, plus trying to figure out how to shoehorn in some time with the in-laws-to-be, plus the wedding planning, without the usual creative outlets (see: hobbies) is making me a tad prone to hysterics, 'though, so it might just be that I'll take any excuse to "be merry" that presents itself.

Is anybody else feeling like it's their schedules that's making them a little goofy?

Joy said...

I'm too crazy busy to even think about Christmas much of the time. I think I am going to be stuck in those awful, awful lineups this year at the mall with people who are frustrated and not in the holiday spirit at all...and I fear that I will become frustrated and not in the holiday spirit at all as well. I don't have to host any festivities so there's not all that much prep I have to do...except buy presents...and it's that part that I'm dreading. I have looked after 1 so far, though, that is a joint combined Christmas gift for me and Martin from my parents (I know what it is and picked it out, even though my parents are paying for it, but Martin doesn't know what it is so I can't tell you here). Anyone want to be my personal shopper :)?

Emma said...

This is exactly why I like to make most of my gifts. Those I don't make I buy online. I find the act of making gifts puts me in the mood. Shopping takes it right out of me.

Anonymous said...

I don't have time to think about my schedule. :p

Anonymous said...

Christmas? You mean Christmas is coming? How'd that happen????!

Yeah, ok, slight exaggeration, but I'm definitely having a Christmas off-year this year. It sucks. *sigh* Too much to do... no time to do any of it.

Michelle Hopp said...

Christmas! Whee! :D

As those who know me well will attest, I don't think I've ever had an off-Christmas.

I'm actually one of those people most people hate. :)

I deck the halls before December 1st, I'm done baking by around the second week of December [usually to coincide with gatherings], a holiday schedule is worked out well in advance [this is tricky especially when dealing with multiple parents and extended families] , gifts are bought/made and wrapped weeks in advance, stockings are stuffed... and carols are played from the first week of December.

This year admittedly I'm a bit behind on the gifts part though, mostly due to working late some evenings, so don't hate me too much. :)