Thursday, December 28, 2006

Bye Bye Humbug

Well Christmas is over. All the exchanging of gifts, eating, eating and more eating is slowly tapering off.

And I always find it weird how we spend almost a month in anticipation of Christmas, carols on the radio, parties, all sorts of hoop-la-la and then once boxing day hits,it's all gone. All the decorations have been taken down. Everybody starts stressing about the holiday weight they gained, and taking about the diet and exercise they plan on starting in January.

No more Christmas music, Christmas trees, gift packages in the stores.

And the build-up to New Year's Eve isn't nearly as huge. Which is probably a good thing considering how anti-climactic new year's can be.
It's usually just a couple of days of deciding on plans, then that's it.

As I had mentioned previously, I don't generally get reflective at this time of year, I save my soul searching/goal setting for around my Birthday. So there is really not much going on right now. Back at work - same old, same old.

It's a little sad. What I love most about Christmas (not including the whole God becoming Flesh thing, to offer me eternity) is how social everybody becomes. I love going to parties, exchanging gifts, baking cookies, not really doing any work, etc...
And suddenly on December 26th, it all goes away.

Circle of life stuff I guess.

On a totally unrelated topic - People (doesn't have to be just ladies) book your calendars for Friday, January 19th. It's time for another Needle Crafts evening (I don't want to use the little bit naughty name).
7:30pm and onwards at my house.

5 comments:

ghanima said...

Those choosing the more socially-acceptable route tend to refer to the event in question as an "SnB". :)

Joy said...

I've pencilled in (or whatever the electronic equivalent is) the SnB :).

My Christmas isn't actually over yet...still have to have Christmas dinner with my father-in-law tomorrow, and my family is actually getting together for Christmas on Jan. 1. I'm loving the extension of Christmas this year as I had an assignment due Dec. 21 and wasn't in the Christmas mood on Christmas Eve or the Day itself.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, our xmas is still going strong as well and I'm sure our decorations will stay up at least a week into January.

As for the gathering... you say it doesn't have to be just ladies? What the heck are us guys gonna do with knitting needles? You got anything that needs stabbing??

Anonymous said...

C'mon Kevin, we all know you're a closet serial knitter.

Joy said...

@ Kevin's comment: LOL!