Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Something to Look Forward to

So tonight is my Running Room practice night. Tonight we were working on maintaining the goal we set-up on Monday night. So it's my second run at this rate.
tonight our regular facilitator was not there and we had Sue leading our 5K clinic group. So it was Sue, myself and Nicole.
What you need to know about Sue is that she is a complete coach - happy, encouraging, energetic, enthusiastic.
So today Sue pushed me - HARD! The awesome part is that I did much more than I thought I could. I added a minute onto my time, which means I did a minute more that we did on Monday and were scheduled to do (Trust me a minute is HUGE for me!!)
And it was the fastest I have run to date. Which is also HUGE for me. Usually you could be walking backwards next to me, and you would probably still be moving faster than I run.
But tonight, you would have had to be walking super fast, maybe even jogging with me to keep up! YEAH!!!

Ok, that was actually the aside, what I wanted to tell you about was the conversation I had afterwards with a couple of the others in my clinic (they ran with a different group tonight).
I mentioned that my Birthday is coming up on Saturday and how I find Birthdays much more than New Year's make me re-evaluate my life and contemplative of my goals.
Anyways what they 3 of them told me (they had a consensus) is that your forties are the best years of your life.
You have more money, you're sure of who you are, you know what you want and you can do it.

Phew! It was such a refreshing conversation. I have spent most of my life with people telling me that the years I'm living are the best years of my life. And that hasn't been my experience. Not that they're horrible years or anything, but my twenties have been spent trying to get myself to my future - whether it be school or a career or relationships - always trying to work out the future, sacrificing the now for the to come.
So it's good to know that there is a to come, and that it can be enjoyed!

Here's to being in our forties, and finally getting to enjoy life - well maybe we can get some enjoyment in here and there before then, just a little ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! I am the first to post a comment! After reading your post I will agree, yes, I am looking forward to my forties. Not that I realized this until after I read your post, Miriam! But after reading your thoughts I realized that when I'm in my 40s, Joshua will be old enough to do his own thing and I will no longer have to: pee with a toddler wanting to sit on my lap, go out with spit-up food stuck on my shirt, eat with a little person sticking his Mega Blocks in my food, or wake up in the morning to my child sticking his fingers in my nostrils. Bring on the 40s! Yeehaw!

Anonymous said...

Miriam, I forgot to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Also, congratulations on surpassing your running limit! That is so great, you are so hard-core, running when it's this cold outside. Geez, I can barely get out of bed in the morning, it's so cold!

So what do you have planned for your big day?

Anonymous said...

How encouraging! I turned 29 this year and was already beginning to dread next year-the big 30!! I can't believe it's come this fast. Technically, I AM in my 30th year! aaaaah!!
Anyways, happy birthday, Miriam!