Thursday, October 12, 2006

I Hate Exercise - sort of!

Ok it's official - after an hour and a half today of sweating and contorting and getting nowhere, I have officially decided that I hate exercise.

I've been running now, to be more accurate, I should say I've been trying to run now for about 4 months.
That's 3 times a week for 4 months.
And I still huff and puff, run slower than most people can walk, and turn beet red and go crazy hot for like hours!! (I am NOT hyperbole-izing!)

I have decent rhythm, but everytime I take a ballet class or a pilates or stretching class - I'm watching my form in the mirrors (they're everywhere!) and I feel like an egg with arms and legs. No grace, no fluidity of movement - just this basal desire to survive!!

And yet, I get home, I take my shower, and magically I feel able to conquer the world - most days.

Hence the sort of.

I am waiting with baited breath for the day that I feel good while doing it - as opposed to after. It appears that that day will be a long time coming.

So until then - I hate exercise, sort of!

5 comments:

Joy said...

At least you're doing it consistently and have been doing so for months. I stay consistent for like 2 weeks and then stop. I think you should be proud of yourself for taking care of your body the way a bunch of us in North America don't.

Emma said...

Even if you can't see the benifits, your heart benifits. Though I find that it is best to find a form of exercise you do actually enjoy. Then you've got more than just determination to keep you consistent. Your dance classes, for example, are excellent exercise and you obviously enjoy them.

ghanima said...

You're supposed to feel good while you're exercising? I don't think I've ever been able to say that, aside, of course, from the times I've gone on a drinking-bender, then danced it off; I suspect that's more due to the alcohol than the dancing, 'though.

I get my satisfaction from having fewer random aches and pains, and less general sag-itude after my workouts.

MiraFabulous said...

Yeah, I've been a pretty steady exerciser for over a year now.

Last year I had a curves member ship and I tried to go 5 times a week - after work daily.

I didn;t always make it, but I almost always did a minimum of 3 times a week (plus the dance classes).

I am more active than it may appear ;)

Anonymous said...

I just hate exercising for the sake of exercising. I love getting out for a fast-paced game of tennis or other activity that acts as exercise but feels more like fun... but can't bring myself to just get out and run. That's probably why my bike hasn't had air in the tires for a couple years now. :(