Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Can't talk - working!

Is anybody else drowning in work these days?
No relief in sight?

If I have one more person walk past my desk or send me an e-mail that starts "Oh, by the way" I think I may actually start to spit nails - machine gun style with no concern for casualties!

SO I've been pseudo promoted at work. I call it a pseudo promotion because it hasn't officially happened yet - I'm still technically suppose to be doing what I have been doing up to this point (in reality I find myself trying to juggle 2 full time jobs instead).

It comes with a pay raise of $0 - yes you read that right, $0.
Possibility or a raise in April.

And magically once it was announced, what people seemed to hear was - everybody call ME all at once for absolutely anything and everything.

The fact that it's year end doesn't help - because it seems to be that everybody else is feeling the same sense of drowning in their TO DO lists.

Currently mine is about 3 months worth of stuff to do, that I somehow have to complete in a couple of weeks, while continuing to do my old job, and oh yeah, train my replacement. If I can't train my replacement fast enough, that's just the more time I spend in my old job.

Plus it's not like my home is a haven, and I come home to a peaceful place to regenerate. Remember my Mother the catastrophizer? Yeah, the daily ins and outs of that can be demanding.

So I've decided that I'm going to go on strike. Yep, that's right a Strike from my life. Anybody want to join me? While I can't physically go anywhere, and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my new job (which by the way, I am actually excited about, it should be a great role for me)I plan on in my head floating on an inner tube in the middle of the ocean for the better part of most days. With the exception of eating , bathroom breaks, sleep and TV - that's where I'll be. We could turn my inner tube into a raft - I am a social person, and would prefer to do nothing with someone else than all by myself anyways.

4 comments:

ghanima said...

Is there room on the raft for two? I'm not sure what I'll be able to contribute, but sitting on an inner tube in the middle of the ocean for the next few days/weeks/months is appealing beyond expression.

Joy said...

Oh, I am so there.

Perhaps you could adopt a particular coffee shop or Chapters to be your haven for a bit of a break right after work? I know you're a social person, but if after all that time talking to people at work you just want to not interact with people for a while that could be a zen fix. It's also cheaper than going for shopping therapy every day :).

MiraFabulous said...

Ghanima - come on over - ther raft is magically able to expand to fit whomever needs be there. That's the beauty of a raft that only exists in my mind :)

JOy - great suggestion, but I'm on a spending fast for January and Feb. so no starbucks for me for another month - which sucks a little, 'cause I like it.

Joy said...

You don't have to spend $ to enjoy Chapters, though...but you do have to enjoy taking half an hour out of your day just to sit in the store and read something (they do have magazines...).