Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Grumble, Grumble

I need to complain!
That's my disclaimer - so turn away now if you're not in the mood for a minor rant.

I have had a crummy day - any single event would have been manageable but, it's the culmination of all of them that has pushed into this complaining mode!

Ok so let's start at the very beginning (If this were a good day, that would be the seguay into the Sound of Music song).

I got this very exciting "Progression Wake-up Alarm clock" for my birthday - not cheap and special ordered from the U.S.
The premise of this clock is that it wakes you up with simulated sunlight, aromatherapy and nature sounds. And this schmorgasboard is suppose to make you wake up naturally and easily.
I envisioned floating out of bed, fully rested and refreshed when the alarm went off.

So I set it up on Saturday, and it went off Sunday morning. The pre-set nature sound is "Songbirds" (there are 5 others). I woke-up Sunday morning thinking I was being attacked by birds at the window. Yesterday I swear I had a split-second where I thought they were pecking at my head (like a scene out of Hitchcock's The Birds).
So for this morning I reset the sound to "Ocean Waves".

Yeah, stupid alarm didn't do what it was suppose to - I hit the snooze for an hour, then spent 45 minutes in my usual sleep stupid state staring at the TV. I start work at 8am, I left the house at 8:05am.

Then, of course because I'm rushing, I get in the car, and start backing-up as I'm checking out my back window. I nearly run over my next door neighbour.
"OMG, I'm so sorry are you ok?"
"You nearly run me over"
"I am sooooooo sorry".
"It's alright", turns around, keeps walking, mumbling.
So now I'm worried about coming home to find my house TPed by my middle aged, unhappy, neighbour.

I get to work and the morning whizzes by - thankfully.
In the afternoon, I'm on a call and somehow my head is getting heavier, and heavier, my eyelids feel incredibly heavy, maybe I'll just put my head down and close my eyes for a minute - Ahhh, that's nice.
Wait a minute I'm at work, and on a call!!!
ABORT, ABORT - come on eyes OPEN! Listen to me darn it - head lift up.
Phew, that was really close!

Ok, so I finally get to go home, and I'm thinking - it's ok, I'll run tonight, I'll get pumped, have a good night's sleep and tomorrow it'll all be good.

I get ready for my run, leave the house at the usual time and - what the heck, has everybody and their brother decided to go on a leisurely drive tonight?
The streets are packed, after 20 minutes on the highway I finally have moved 1 exit, so I think "I better get off, maybe the roads are better than the highway".
Yeah, ummmmm the answer to that is no.

So 62 minutes later (yes, not the 20 minutes it usually takes me) - I arrive at the Running Room just as everyone is getting back from the run.

I get a call about 2 minutes later from my Family "Can you buy a pizza on your way home for supper?"
"Sure"
So I decide to get some Mamma's Pizza 'cause it's cool and gourmet, thin crust and they have a funky potato pizza (which tastes much better than it sounds).
Ok so 2 pizzas cost me $38 - That's crazy!!

Then I get home and I'm being reprimanded for spending so much money on Pizza. Ok forget the fact that they all sat home doing nothing, and that I paid for it with my own earned money, and didn't ask for any money from anyone else.
No "thank you", no "Wow! Awesome pizza, this is really different" - I got yelled at!

Ok, I'm done complaining - thanks for reading my grumblings.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that does sound like a crappy day!

See what you need to do is kiss a frog every morning, because after that, anything that happens to you is an improvement.

Take heart in the fact that it doesn't happen all the time, and you don't deserve it. Also, trying new things requires better planning. :)

ghanima said...

If Austin's suggestion doesn't work, I'm still considered hiring myself out as a professional hitman, so just pass your list over.

MiraFabulous said...

Hey Ghanima, if I hire you as a hit man, I could do it in French and use some of the cool phrases I have learned at work since I started.
"Je vais engagé Ghanima, et mettre un crontract sur la tête de ..."
Déja Vu?

Anonymous said...

Hi Miriam! I'm sorry you had such a bad day. Maybe this means that you have a superbly good day coming up, to make things even.

It was very kind of you to buy only the best pizza for your family. It's too bad they didn't recognize that and couldn't appreciate it. The pizza story made me think of a Korean proverb that goes something like:

"If you save a man from drowning, he will yell at you for not saving his briefcase as well."

I hope your days are better from now on!

Anonymous said...

Now I just want pizza. :)

I'm too weeks late to make any meaningful contribution to this post... so I'll just sit here and think about food.

Yum.