Sunday, November 19, 2006

Ah Nostalgia!

The past couple of weeks have been a walk down memory lane in all sorts of ways.

It started with meeting my old boyfriend for drinks- which turned into dinner, and then spread into the bulk of the night a couple of Thursdays ago.

It was a good night, we played catch-up (it has been 6 years), and reminisced a little bit about our "cult of the green carpet" days.

Back in OAC year me, my pre-ex, my best friend and his best friend we sort of an inseparable foursome. We would spend every Friday night, Saturday and Sunday together. Usually one or 2 others might join us, but we were the core. Mostly we hung out in Steve's basement - which had a green carpet. Hence our cult name.

Then I bought Beverly Hills 90210 Season 1 on DVD - it came out on November 7th. I loved this show while in High School. And I have been watching episodes whenever I can. Even just the beginning of the credits brings back great memories!

Then last night I went to the Audio Adrenaline Farewell Concert (last one, they're retiring). So mix the music I started listening to like 15 years ago with going with my old church (the friends I was going with had a last minute emergency, so I hooked-up with my old church), and you have a potent memory lane mix.

I spent most of the night with my old best friend (same as above) and her now husband (the other guy from above). It was like Memory Lane overload.

interestingly, in my dinner conversation, when I talked about feeling nostalgic, he told me "well none of our relationships have stayed the same".

So I guess nostalgia or not, there is no staying in the Good Old Days, life marches forward whether you want it to or not.

6 comments:

ghanima said...

Yeah, but would you really want to relive the confusion and insecurity of high school? I, for one, couldn't be paid enough to go back to that time in my life.

Anonymous said...

I find the goodness of the "good old days" is all relative to the presence of positive elements from the period.

If I'm talking to someone I was friendly with at the time, or watching a show I enjoyed back then or listening to tunes I liked... then the good old days are good.

If, on the other hand, I'm being objective and looking at all the cr@p that went on... the backstabbing, the cliques, the ostracism, the deaths, the dramas, the social outcast status... then there's no way on the face of the planet that anyone could convince me to go back and relive it all over again. Well, except possibly that bit of it where I was 3-4 sizes smaller ;)

I do periodically wonder about people who've fallen off my radar, though... some because I wish them well in life and want to see what's worked out for them... others because I want to make darn sure I never find myself in their part of the city/province/country/planet *laugh*

Memory Lane's all very well if you can avoid the potholes. ;)

MiraFabulous said...

Yeah, what I found the most intriguing part of my expereince/emotions is that I don't think I felt nearly as good about my experiences while I was living them, as I can when I'm remembering them.
In fact, my life is probably a whole lot better now than then. A whack less stressful at the very least!

Anonymous said...

"I spent most of the night with my old best friend (same as above) and her now husband (the other guy from above)."

Miriam, I thought *I* was your best friend!

;)

Hehehe.

Michelle Hopp said...

I liked my high school days, but that's probably because my high school itself was a sanctuary most times. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure I won't be sitting down to dine with an ex-gf any time soon.

Well... except for Michelle I suppose. :D

Looking back on hs... that was definitely a hell of a roller coaster but I can definitely look back on most of those times as good. I guess the friends you have really dictate how things go there. I was lucky in that respect, as I have been in the years since as well. :)