Sunday, November 05, 2006

My Inauspicious Alarm Clock

Argh!!!!!! My new alarm clock is going to drive me crazy. If you've been keeping up, you've already heard a little about my trials and tribulations with this "state of the art" device.

When we last visited this topic, We were left with scaring imagery of hundreds of little birds pecking away at my head. (I'm good with the Hyperbole eh?!)

If you remember this contraption also comes with a very detailed manual, which I need to refer to do just about anything with it.

So it wakes me up as per usual at 6:ooam on Friday morning - Ocean Waves and all. I tap the alarm button to turn it off as I do every morning. Then I figure it's off, no problem.

On Saturday I needed to be somewhere for 10am, and was cautioned not to be late. I didn't want to pull out the manual to re-program my clock, so I set my running watch alarm instead. Well my too-smart clock went off at 6:00am as usual and startled me out of bed. Then because I was scared I would fall back asleep and not get up in time for my appointment - I spent like 3 hours lying in bed, talking to myself, trying to keep myself awake and think of something I could do so early. (Yeah, I bet the crazy diagnosis is starting to sounds a little more realistic right about now.)

So for this morning, I thought I better re-set the alarm, 'cause I'm not getting up at 6am again, and I want to go to church. Since I bothered to bust out the manual, I figured I would try a different nature sound to wake-up to. I choose "Mountain Stream". The alarm went of at 8:25am, that's a good sign, but the stinking sound of trickling water for 15 minutes made me have to pee something fierce! It felt like I had just sat through a 3 hour film while guzzling an extra-large Diet Coke . As I was hobbling to the bathroom, half awake, I woke everybody else up with my "Ow, ow, ow" mumble with every step towards my pee goal.

Having survived the mental and physical ordeal that was my alarm going off and the ensuing pee, I collapsed wearily back into bed to recuperate.
Oops - 3 hours later, I roll over, it's almost noon, and I missed church.

My plans foiled again at the hands of my alarm clock. At least I'm going to choose to blame my alarm clock - much easier than taking any personal responsibility for anything ;)

5 comments:

ghanima said...

I'm grumpy enough in the morning that I probably would have used this one for target practise by now. Comparatively, you've got the patience of a saint.

MiraFabulous said...

If it wasn't so expensive or special ordered from the US, with ensuing tariffs and stuff I would have been just as tempted.

I'm hoping this is just the learning curve - and soon I will post about floating out of bed fully refreshed every morning :)

Besides without it - you wouldn't get to laugh at my semi-misery, detailed for you on-line every once in a while.

Emma said...

Mir, we would never take pleasure in your pain. However, I must say that most run-of-the-mill alarm clocks work the same way. Reseting leaves it on for the next morning. I've never seen a clock smart enough to let you sleep-in on the weekend. You shouldn't change your schedule so much on the weekend anyway.

Given you're general dislike of waking up, I'm thinking this clock can't be as bad as you're making it out to be. You could always sell it on Ebay. If you do, let me know because I've got a Lego Mindstorm I'd like to sell, and I don't know where to start.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure they make alarm clocks that are smart enough to know that it is a weekend and not go off (or go off at a different time). Just about any of the alarm clocks you see that have the date on it would probably have this feature.

MiraFabulous said...

Plus I think that it's more my loathing of waking-up and love of sleeping that's the problem.

I never mean to sleep so much on the week-ends, I know you;re suppose to stick to your regular routine, but I just wake-up so darned early during the week.

Plus for what this alarm clock costs, it should call me "Princess" every morning and servce me caviar in bed.

Ok, ok it didn't cost quite that much, but wouldn't it be nice ;)