Monday, February 06, 2012

Created to Make a Difference

You might remember that early in September I took the Landmark Advanced Course (Blog post here).  The week-end contained several powerful epiphanies for me.  In Landmark language, I would say I uncovered several blind spots.

One of the most impactful pieces for me was about 2/3 of the way through - early on Sunday morning.  I came to the profound realization that I was created to make a difference.  I am meant to change the world.

Do you ever have moments where you mentally look around at the routine moment in a sea of routine moments and think - "there's gotta be more to life than this"?  I sometimes feel guilty for having this thought, because I actually have a really good life.   A friend of mine recently told me "you're living the life of Riley" and she's right.

So then what's the deal  with wanting more?

I have come to realize that I was created to make a difference, to change the world.  The wanting more is not as much about money or stuff (not that I would say no to those things) - but about impact.  Whether you believe that there's a divine reason (providence) that I am who I am and where I am, or if you call it serendipity or whatever else.  Whether you believe it's intentional or purposeful or not - that does not diminish the opportunity that exists here.

I am who I am and where I am right now - what am I gonna do with it.
I'm gonna do my best to make choices that make a difference, that might be the butterfly who starts the hurricane
I'm gonna be purposeful about it.  I was thinking about what that might look like, and I think sometimes it'll look like something out of a movie - like when we take the youth on a Mission's trip.  But most of the time, I think it'll look like everyday living.  Barely noticeable to the naked eye -  but if you look closely, there it is.

And I think the secret in approaching life from this lens is that when you're focused on being the instrument of change without expecting to directly experience the results -  there is little room for disappointment.

No comments: