Monday, August 30, 2010

Git 'Er Done

August 30th.
Yes that's right, it's August 30th.
Two more sleeps and it's September 1st.

I always find it amazing that despite the fact that I graduated University a full 10 years ago, September remains an important milestone within the year.

There are several such milestones, most of which are somewhat individual for most of us. For me, there are the following ones:

#1 - my Birthday. This is a very important date for me (if you know me at all, you know this is almost an understatement). But it's also often a "take stock of your life, and what you have accomplished" time for me, which I often feel I fall short in, and leads to me being a little sad around this time. Ironically never because I am aging, but just because I feel inappropriately accomplished for my age.

#2 - Christmas. This is the holiday in which the fantasy me always imagines a Normal Rockwell-esque visa vie Martha Stewart gathering of a large group of people who are near and dear to my heart enjoying great food and drink. Accompanied by the allure of a gaggle of gifts beautifully wrapped under a lavishly decorated tree. The reality of which doesn't come close to comparing - or bear mention. But nevertheless, I do love the joviality of Christmas, I enjoy buying gifts for others, receiving gifts from others, and the meal my family of 4 shares every year. Not to mention the religious significance of the time of year.

#3 - September. Maybe it's because I'm a bit of a stationary junkie, and I love back to school shopping for this reason. Maybe it's the new crispness in the air, after weeks of sometimes stifling heat (if we're lucky). There is something about this time of year that makes me feel the need to plan, to keep an agenda, to set forth some new year's resolutions.

And so in that spirit, there are two key things (maybe 3) that I would love to accomplish maybe before my birthday, and most definitely before the new year. So I am marking them here, for some witnesses. Hold me to this, I know it's doable!

First - I would like to replace the stereo in my car. I would like one with an aux port, so I can plug my iPod straight in. I would like to not send it to a shop to have it done, but learn to do it myself (with some very needed, and very capable help of a few car guys). I am easily motivated for this one as my stereo just started skipping while playing CDs on my trip to Maine with my Dad a few weeks ago.

Second - I want to get my motorcycle licence. I have been wanting this for a reasonable amount of time now. To tell the truth, I have only been on a motorcycle once, it was in 1997, and it was AWESOME! I am not sure what the kernel of fear is that has kept me from taking action, but I think enough is enough - I have wanted this long enough, the desire is not going away, I need to just do it. I have no idea how to start, so tips and advice are welcome :) but I need to start looking into this.

Third - It would be great if I could buy a small chandelier for my dining area. This shouldn't be to hard, I just need to buy one I like (I already have an idea around that), and then get some help to install it.

Those are my cards out on the table. Hopefully making them public will help to hold me to them.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

1. I believe I've already volunteered to help with this one.

2. Motorcycle courses exist. I know most consist of theory and practical. I have no idea what they expect in terms of skill\knowledge.

3. If you need a hand with installing it once you've bought one feel free to give me a call.

ghanima said...

You've also got a friend who's looking to buy a light fixture over the dining table she's hoping to have for her home in the next month. You know, in case you were wondering if anyone else was interested in buying light fixtures. ;)

Also, I know my saying so isn't going to change things, but I think you've accomplished a helluva lot over the course of your life. Maybe you could look at what you have done, instead of what you haven't.

Kevin said...

I'm with Bruce. Looking forward to gutting the dash of your car... and more than happy to put up light fixtures. :)

As Bruce mentioned... there are courses you can (and very much should) take that will teach you to ride. I seem to recall some of the colleges offering them and that they were very good courses. It's something to look into. Are you looking to buy a motorcycle as well, or just want the license?

I know I'd love to do it... but then I'd die. Mine probably isn't the best personality to put on 2 wheels with just a helmet to protect my mushy bits. :)

MiraFabulous said...

lol! Mushy bits are valuable, and worthy of protection.

Ok, so I started looking into courses, and the motorcycle process -man, it's expensive!

Courses total $700 (+HST)
gear rental - not sure how much that will cost
Then I need to actually own a bike for my final test = M2 exit test for a full M class license
And I won't be finished the process for a minimum of 20 months (if I take the courses, which shorten the wait times).

This is getting more expensive then I allowed for.

SO this item may be placed on hold temporarily, until I can balance my $$ to support the plan.

MiraFabulous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Faiza said...

you just reminded me that i graduated ten years ago too! that kinda made me smile!