Saturday, April 03, 2010

Demotivation

Ouf! I have been hit.
It's worse than the smart of a paintball at close range.
Motivation down!
Doesn't look like much can save it.....

Here's my situation:

I ordered some furniture from Costco online assuming it would be delivered fully assembled. It was not. So I got excited when I received them, and spend 5 hours assembling the first one. That's right, you just read 5 hours!
The instructions were so poor, that I ended up doing it wrong several times throughout the process. And my need to screw-in, and unscrew over and over and over again, managed to strip the wood, strip the screws. It's not pretty.
So I managed to get the one done, but have been pretty intimidated to do the other one. Plus stuff like that always goes better with 2 minds and 4 hands.

Then I asked a friend to help me put the other one together, and he said sure, but has been super busy and unavailable since I asked. Thankfully I was telling Matt and Leah about my frustrations, and Matt has offered to help me.

So that's one problem sorta fixed.

If only that were it.

So I also need lamps for my room to put on my new (hopefully soon to be assembled) night tables, because I have been reading by book lamp, and it's just not good for my eyes.

So I FINALLY make it out to IKEA today (I have been planning to go for 3 weeks). I bought the lamps I wanted, nice tall, thin ones so they don't take up too much space or overpower the room. I also bought 2 kinds of light bulbs (different wattage) to complete the package. So I get home, and happily tear into one of the lamps (for the one nightstand I actually have assembled and in place) - and would you believe that the light bulbs don't fit! They are somehow too big at the base.
I am so frustrated I am about a blink away from giving up on building/improving/ever leaving the house again.

ARGH!! I hate getting so close, but not being able to complete something properly.
And I hate asking for help, because I feel like it makes me look incompetent. So now I have had to ask for help twice for the build, and I will have to ask someone at least once about the light bulb issue.

And I remain nightstand-less and light-less.

6 comments:

ghanima said...

How's Tuesday work for you with that help we offered, Miriam?

NotWeasel said...

Man... there has got to be a good "How many university grads does it take to screw in a lightbulb" joke here somewhere. :D

I'm sure Matt will have it all under control... but if you still need a hand, you know where to find me. :)

Emma said...

Just curious, how many times have you been hit by a paint ball at close range. I didn't even know you played?

MiraFabulous said...

I've only played paintball twice, and I was hit at close range both times.
It was years ago...and it hurt enough that I still remember the pain.

Plus the bruises took forever to heal, and were a yucky yellow colour for a very long time!

Laura S.. said...

For the record Mira, there's nothing wrong with asking for help. We've all got our strengths, and we all need help sometimes. Just think how much more fun it is when you have friends over to help with something. You'd miss out on that social time if you refused to ask & sat there frustrated & alone..
AND, once they've helped you out, maybe they'll be less hesitant to ask you for help.. & the social time grows. These days, we all need more time with friends. :)

(Says me, who hasn't even had time to read your blog in months...)

I'm hoping by now all is fixed up & working well. :)

NotWeasel said...

I'm getting demotivated about checking this blog. :( Is everything ok out there??