Thursday, December 13, 2007

My Side of the Bed

Have you ever heard it said that everybody's got a "side" of the bed.

I always thought that was a bit of an unusual phenomenon. How is one's side of the bed determined exactly? And what happens if you start sharing a bed with someone who has the same side as you do - who trumps whom?

I never really gave the theory much credence.

So for the past 10 years I slept in a single bed. Which basically means that I didn't have a side of the bed - the whole bed was my side. In fact the twin was a little short, and my feet always hung over the edge as well.

As a result of having a twin for so long, I am not a mover in my sleep. I basically just slip under the covers, fall asleep, no movement, and slip back out in the morning. To make the bed most days, I just sort of smooth out the sheets, because not much has been disturbed.

When I got my own place the one piece of furniture I splurged on was my bed. In fact it remains currently the only piece of furniture I own. And I got a great queen size bed!
I sort of arbitrarily chose the right side of the bed to sleep on. And for the first 3 months my usual patterns and habits of sleep prevailed. Only this time my feet do not hang over the edge of the bed.

So I had this brainstorm last week. I figured that I own the whole bed, and I didn't want the work of having to rotate the mattress. So I decided to simply switch the side that I sleep on every 3 months in order for the bed to wear evenly. And as an added bonus that places the alarm clock on the far side, and might make sure that I actually get up when it goes off, because I can't reach the snooze.

Apparently I DO have a side of the bed. Because I have not had a decent night's sleep since the switch. And I toss and turn continuously. I know because my sheets are this huge tumble in the morning, and making the bed now takes me more that the 15 seconds it used to.

Ok but what made my body decide that the right side was my side of the bed, and now that I'm on the left something is wrong. I had no real side of the bed for 10 years, and now in 3 months my body is fixed?

The stubborn side of me is sort of refusing to simply switch back to the right side. I want to conquer this troubled sleep on the left side thing. But then the rational part of me says, I'll just find myself in the same predicament in 3 months time when I try and switch back.

Ah well, one more thing to add to my interview questions for a potential spouse "What side of the bed do you sleep on?" Cause it looks like the right side has been claimed!

4 comments:

Emma said...

Personally, when I moved to my Queen sized bed, I found that I take up as much room as I'm given. Apparently I move around a lot in my sleep. :D Austin's gonna need padding for protection.

Austin said...

I've been in a twin up to and including three years ago. When I first moved to Toronto and had my own place, I slept in the floor. Well, for a couple of weeks until I bought a queen. Luxury indeed!

I switch sides every night. My body doesn't apparently care. Sometimes I move, sometimes I don't.

I think I need to add a jock to the wedding registry, in case. ;)

ghanima said...

Sides weren't an issue with Matt and me. When I was in my own apartment, I usually slept on the left side, closest to the door, but when I shared a bed with Matt, I was on the right side, closest to the door. I don't know that I have a preference for being near the door necessarily, but I seem to be pretty content with just having a side and sharing a bed. :)

Anonymous said...

My side is the right side, simply because that's where my pillows are. Given the whole bed, I take up the whole bed, but am never quite comfortable as there always seems to be something important missing...