Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A Compendium of un-useless facts

For anybody who knows me, you know how much I love information.
My ambition is to have "She died knowing it all" inscribed on my tombstone - and for it to be the truth. (N.B. that does not make me a Know-it-all)

Flowing from that, it only makes sense that Trivial Pursuit is my favourite board game, and that I am lousy at not being the winner when I play.

While I am not usually a competitive person, there's just something about not "ruling the roost" in the knowledge of trivia domain.

I also got a cool book as a gift on my birthday. I have been very occupied with work and other endeavours and have been a slow reader later - but this book is hilarious - and right up my alley!

So the premise of this novel is a magazine editor who decided to read his way through the entire Encyclopedia Britannica.
The chapters are divided by alphabet - 26 chapters in all.

And here's the kicker, and the part that truly makes me a geek (which by the way the term originated in the circus - it referred to performers who would bite the heads off chickens).

I love learning the fact and trivia in this novel. By the way the definition of Geek is courtesy of Jeopardy.

For example did you know that Berserkers where fierce Norse warriors, who went into battle naked. Hence the term "going berserk" should actually include an element of nudity.

Or that Abalones (an oyster like sea creature) have 5 distinct orifices dedicated to excrement.

So I've only read up to chapter C - but I am so excited about all the new things I am going to learn.

Now the only problem is that these are not everyday conversation pieces of information. So be forewarned that my spewing of interesting but not immediately useful information may slightly increase in the near future.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew about the geek thing, though I think I got it from x-files. Hmm.. I think I should start using "chicken head biter" instead of geek.

The book sounded interesting but you don't mention the title..

I also knew the berserker one though I never interpreted it to mean that "going beserk" should include nudity.

I didn't know about the Abalone though I do know that they are quite tasty.

Emma said...

Yay x-files! So educational and paranoid at the same time.

Should I be looking over my shoulder for a hit man? I know, you know how to order one in french. If I promise never to beat you at TP again will you call him off?

MiraFabulous said...

Hee hee heee.

Be afraid - be very afriad ;)

The title of the Book is "Know-it-all" and it's author is A.J. Jacobs.
Sorry to have neglected it - brain's too full :)

Anonymous said...

Definitions of words change over time. Webster tells me so. So chicken biting might be the original, but it's not the only definition. :p

Did you know to "run amok" means to actually kill people? (Murderous frenzy!) Be careful next time you use it.

My secret ninja bodyguards over your french assassins anyday.

Anonymous said...

My Hero!

Well Mir, looks like I don't need to let you win after all.:P

MiraFabulous said...

Let me win??

My dear it is in it's entirety the other way around.

Besides which - I can't even fathom the logistics of how to let someone win at a trivia game.

Also, the challenge may be extended - but who says Secret Ninjas are better than French assasins.
And if we ever had to test that - you might be in much more dire circumstances than just loosing a game.

lol - this is fun - more trash talk, bring it on - hee hee hee

Anonymous said...

technically it originated in the side-show circuit (not the circus or carnival proper, but the side-show of "freaks and geeks"... the bearded lady, the dog-faced boy, mystical beasties etc.), and referred to people who swallowed live things... then extended to biting the heads off larger live things such as chickens, snakes, and (Ozzy Osbourne would love this), bats.

In the days of Jim Rose (who appeared in that x-files episode with his sidekick The Enigma), it expanded further to define someone who would eat pretty much anything not generally considered food (lightbulbs and razor blades were common 'edibles' with the Jim Rose Circus Side Show)

;) I'm a wealth of trivial knowledge, too.

Emma said...

Trash talk? You want trash talk? I'll give you trash talk!

Yo mama wear's army boots!

(wait, you're mom is nice to me. I take that back.)

Your feets is too big and they is ugly too!

(The audience gasps. Has Emma gone to far? She's attacked the feet! The fur is gonna fly now.)

Anonymous said...

Depending on which side of the Atlantic your assassins are from, they'll either bitch and complain about getting paid more than the Anglo-assassins, or will surrender at the sight of potential resistance.

Everybody knows that the only thing that can go up against ninjas are pirates.

What is the Chinese translation for the Beatles?